ZeniMax Online Studios is seeking a Technical Designer to join our studio for the development of our next AAA game. This is a chance to join an experienced group of developers in pre-production for a new IP.
This role will serve under the Lead Systems Designer to architect and implement gameplay systems and mechanics, and hone them to industry-leading quality. Aside from designing technically complex gameplay systems, a developer in this role will collaborate closely with project engineers, artists, animators, and other designers to bring gameplay to life.
- Design and create modular gameplay components which will be used to propagate gameplay features throughout the world
- Write script components to facilitate gameplay implementation in an entity component system (ECS) based engine
- Collaborate with feature teams on the designs of systems and mechanics with a focus on usability and implementation approach
- Help establish script implementation standards and best practices
- Work with engineers on expanding the capabilities of the scripting system
- Contribute script and gameplay modules to shared libraries
- 2+ years related experience
- Expertise in programming or developing in a visual scripting system
- Solid gameplay design fundamentals with an understanding of what makes gameplay fun
- Ability to work collaboratively in a cross-discipline development environment
- Familiarity with the many types of assets from which a game is built
- Comfortable with a development schedule that is playtest-driven and focused on iteration and polish
- Strong understanding of the discrete elements game systems are built from, and the ability to problem solve both holistically and on a per-component basis
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills required
- An online portfolio which clearly demonstrates relevant work experience
- Experience developing Open World games
- Familiarity with third-person action or roleplaying games
- Experience in animation, UI programming, creating or using shaders, or FX systems
- Strong public speaking skills
We embrace diversity, equity, and inclusion in everything we do – from recruiting for our studios, publishing and operations to fostering safe and respectful workplaces that encourage collaboration. Our culture is based on principles of respect, inclusion, and fair treatment and we welcome anyone into our family without regard to race, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, or age.
Our diversity fuels our innovation and inspires us to create game worlds that bring us closer to the global community of players we serve.