The Combat designer works with the Combat Lead and the rest of the development team in the creation and maintenance of core combat mechanics, character abilities, and combat itemization in The Elder Scrolls Online. They are responsible for maintaining and improving the health of the combat experience including balance, bug fixing, system improvements, and development of new features.
- Assist the Lead Combat Designer in devising and executing plans to improve and expand the combat experience
- Collaborate within inter-disciplinary product teams to develop and iterate upon combat-centric features
- Adhere to guidelines and restrictions for combat gameplay as defined by the Lead Combat Designer and Creative Director
- Maintain clear and concise documentation for all mechanics, balance, and systems they are responsible for
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge of the state of combat and content on the live servers, and incorporate that knowledge into development effort
- Actively seek internal and external feedback regarding the Combat product, and work with leadership to identify response actions
- Specific areas of responsibility include:
- Maintenance and iteration of combat-centric systems such as character stats, progression, and itemization rules
- Creation and maintenance of character mechanics, abilities, and items with an eye toward game balance
- Combat design experience on a shipped or live game
- Deep knowledge of action and RPG combat systems, and what makes them satisfying
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to thrive within a collaborative environment, and both give and receive constructive feedback
- Ability to think logically and break down complex problems, with a strong focus on attention to detail
- Experience with scripting tools or languages
- Proficiency with Microsoft Excel and Microsoft Word
We embrace diversity, equity, and inclusion in everything we do – from recruiting for our studios, publishing and operations to fostering safe and respectful workplaces that encourage collaboration. Our culture is based on principles of respect, inclusion, and fair treatment and we welcome anyone into our family without regard to race, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, or age.
Our diversity fuels our innovation and inspires us to create game worlds that bring us closer to the global community of players we serve.