Based in Newcastle upon Tyne, Ubisoft Reflections is a lead studio with a 35-year heritage and known for technical innovation, creating immersive worlds and vehicle & driving technology. The studio has collaborated with creative teams from other Ubisoft studios from around the world to contribute to the creation of some of the industry’s most acclaimed AAA games, the most recent of which include Watch Dogs Legion, Tom Clancy’s The Division & The Division 2, Assassins Creed Syndicate, Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon Wildlands as well as ground-breaking in-house projects, such as the award-winning Grow Home and Grow Up series.Job Description
The Senior Level Designer will work within a multidisciplinary team to create and implement design elements into the game while acting as a reference for team members on the project.
- Create and improve game levels and worlds to ensure optimum playability;
- Participate in the creation, documentation and tuning of the level to design gameplay elements according to the design and creative vision of the project;
- Share knowledge within the team and mentor more junior level designers;
- Be a reference for the team in relation to level design and find solutions to complex issues that arise;
- Set and share best practices, production pipelines and workflows;
- Understand and apply appropriate difficulty, pacing and flow within levels, and leverage emotional reactions from players;
- Works closely with the Technical Level Design team when developing new features or tools by contributing to the design, testing and providing feedback;
- Understand and apply guidelines for creating engaging level layouts within the game to support specific gameplay rules or playstyles;
- Produce planning schedules that prioritise responsibilities with accurate time estimations;
- Understand and apply data analysis as part of the teams design process;
- Plan, estimate and prioritise time frames for completion of tasks and track progress using the designated tracking tools;
- Contribute to the definition of improved quality benchmarks and best practices in the team's level design content in accordance with the project's creative vision;
- Create improved document frameworks or templates for the level design team and update any relevant documentation as part of the design process;
- Collaborate with quality control teams as part of the debugging process by sharing relevant information, coordinating issue responsibility and resolving any reported issues;
- Participate in the playtest process by observing and analysing player actions to generate feedback that contributes to the iterative design process;
- Communicate and collaborate with key stakeholders to confirm task direction and consistency of work for the team;
- Assist the lead level designer with regular reviews of level design content, providing feedback in line with the creative vision and best practices;
- Support the Lead Level Designer in any ad hoc tasks and duties.
Skills and Knowledge
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills;
- Strong knowledge of scripting languages (such as python, LUA etc.);
- Good knowledge of Microsoft office suite software (such as Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Visio etc.);
- Strong knowledge of the video game industry and awareness of typical video game development processes is essential;
- Analytical and innovative problem solving skills;
- Familiarity with data management software (such as Perforce etc.);
- Strong knowledge of 2D and 3D design tools (such as Sketchup, Maya, 3DSMax, Photoshop etc.);
- Good knowledge of Rational Level Design theory is essential;
- In depth game play and game design knowledge;
- Strong knowledge of level editors.
- 5 year’s minimum experience in Level Design or other relevant experience;
- Bachelor’s degree in Game or level Design or other relevant training;
- Has shipped at least 3 games, preferably on a ‘AAA’ console title.
Benefits & Relocation
Flexible working, 22 days annual leave + Christmas shutdown, private healthcare (with option to add immediate family), life insurance & income protection, workplace pension scheme, paid volunteering days, annual fitness & well-being allowance, games, technology & merchandise, subsidised travel and many more...
Relocation assistance is available to anyone currently living 50 miles or more from the studio location. Please contact a member of the talent acquisition team to find out what we have to offer and how we can support with your move here... relocation really doesn't have to be a daunting prospect.
Find out more about Ubisoft Reflections: https://reflections.ubisoft.com/about/ubisoft-leamington/
Ubisoft Reflections & Ubisoft Leamington is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.