Based in Newcastle upon Tyne, Ubisoft Reflections is a lead studio with a 35-year heritage and known for technical innovation, creating immersive worlds and vehicle & driving technology. The studio has collaborated with creative teams from other Ubisoft studios from around the world to contribute to the creation of some of the industry’s most acclaimed AAA games, the most recent of which include Watch Dogs Legion, Tom Clancy’s The Division & The Division 2, Assassins Creed Syndicate, Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon Wildlands as well as ground-breaking in-house projects, such as the award-winning Grow Home and Grow Up series.Job Description
Lead a team of Technical Designers within a collaborative multidisciplinary environment with a focus on the three pillars of leadership at Ubisoft: care about people; drive performance and development; lead in complexity.
- Build an effective team to ensure it is fully resourced, a manageable size and a good mix of levels and foster a team-player culture;
- Plan, prioritise and set inspiring objectives for your team members all year long;
- Empower your team members with clear expectations and hold them accountable for their key results;
- Provide your team members with ongoing and meaningful feedback on performance and development -- ensuring positive acknowledgement of all achievements, both big and small;
- Enable your team members to reflect and prepare their future in their role and at Ubisoft;
- Engage and positively influence team members and stakeholders around a vision;
- Navigate through ambiguity and embrace change with a positive mindset;
- Create the environment for initiatives and ideas to emerge and grow;
- Care about people - be exemplary and supportive;
- Communicate with impact and promote an open dialogue within your team;
- Develop performance and expertise within the team while furthering your own knowledge and expertise.
- Be a representative for the technical design team for the rest of production;
- Establish the technical needs of the project by consulting project documentation and communicating with key people involved in the development of the creative vision;
- Drive the development of technical features and efforts to improve the technical quality of the content created;
- Collaborate with the Technical Directors to establish and share the project’s technical constraints;
- Coordinate with the project Leads to maintain a balance between the creative vision for the project and the technical constraints;
- Establish and share best practices relating to technical design within the project;
- Collaborate with the other Leads and Technical Direction to define the project Metrics;
- Review content with the Lead Designers to ensure gameplay ingredients and play spaces conform to Metrics, technical constraints and provide overall feedback;
- Develop and adapt the best tools and pipelines for the project;
- Organise the training of Designers on the project’s tools and pipelines;
- Resolve any first line technical issues and support collaboration by working alongside project Leads and other key people within the project;
- Carry out all other related tasks.
Skills and Knowledge
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills;
- Ability to clearly express and present ideas;
- Ability to coach team members and create personal development plans;
- Strong time management and prioritisation skills;
- In-depth knowledge of scripting and programming using Max Script, Python, C Sharp etc.;
- Understanding of video game creation pipelines;
- Knowledge of platform strengths and limitations;
- Knowledge of different hardware architecture;
- Experience managing and leading technical staff;
- ~5 years’ development experience in a design or technical role, with significant involvement in 2 released products a plus;
- Full-lifecycle experience;
- Bachelor’s degree in game-design, programming or equivalent industry experience;
- Experience with 3D engines (Such as Unity, Unreal, CryEngine etc.);
- Training or experience in programming is an asset.
Benefits & Relocation
Flexible working, 22 days annual leave + Christmas shutdown, private healthcare (with option to add immediate family), life insurance & income protection, workplace pension scheme, paid volunteering days, annual fitness & well-being allowance, games, technology & merchandise, subsidised travel and many more...
Relocation assistance is available to anyone currently living 50 miles or more from the studio location. Please contact a member of the talent acquisition team to find out what we have to offer and how we can support with your move here... relocation really doesn't have to be a daunting prospect.
Find out more about Ubisoft Reflections: https://reflections.ubisoft.com/about/ubisoft-reflections/
Ubisoft Reflections & Ubisoft Leamington is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.