Survios, the foremost virtual reality game developer and pioneer of the future of immersive technologies, has an opening for a Senior Combat Designer.
As a Combat Designer, you will be responsible for designing complex first person melee combat interactions from initial concept, to prototype, asset integration, tuning and polish. This position will be responsible for implementing a rapid iteration pipeline with prototyping player and enemy mechanics and systems for first-person VR games. The ideal candidate will have a thorough knowledge of game design theory and tools pipelines, possess strong leadership skills and production know-how, and have the talent to produce and implement the highest quality work. This is your chance to define a new generation of gaming and entertainment.
- Design, build, and script (blueprints and behavior tree) player combat abilities and enemy behavior for exciting and innovative VR games.
- Collaborate closely with Art, Animation, Engineering, QA and Audio team members to create functional, fun, and exciting melee combat systems that achieve unprecedented and immersive VR gaming experiences.
- Collaborate with designers and engineers on meta-game systems and AI.
- Generate documentation to clearly communicate ideas and goals to team.
- Spearhead and deliver work on time and on schedule.
- Develop data-gathering methods for game balancing and tuning through focus testing, analytics, and community feedback.
- 5+ years of game industry experience designing and implementing players and enemies.
- Worked on at least 1 complete product cycle as a Combat Designer, preferably on AAA game franchises.
- Must have proven ability to prototype new mechanics.
- Strong methodology and problem solving ability, with a focus on rapid iteration to achieve balance, accessibility, and fun.
- Deep understanding of combat design for first-person melee combat, including design for brawlers and fighting games.
- Very comfortable working in game editors and understanding engine/game constraints and opportunities.
- Strong, updated and current portfolio with samples of your work.
- Strong communication skills, with a proven ability to document systems clearly and interface successfully with design and other departments.
- Experience prototyping VR environments for Oculus Rift or HTC Vive.
- Knowledge of Agile Methodology, JIRA, Perforce, etc.
- Experience with Unreal Engine 4
Survios is at the forefront of VR game development and is pioneering the future of immersive technologies. Since inception, we have taken a holistic approach to virtual reality innovation, developing hardware, software, and games hand-in-hand to take VR to places that no one has dreamed possible. Survios offers a pet-friendly work environment with unlimited vacation time and a host of other perks and benefits to give our team everything we need to create unrivaled Active Virtual Reality experiences.