PlayStation isn’t just the Best Place to Play —it’s also the Best Place to Work. We’ve thrilled gamers since 1994, when we launched the original PlayStation. Today, we’re recognized as a global leader in interactive and digital entertainment. The PlayStation brand falls under Sony Interactive Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation.
Software Research Senior Lead
San Mateo, CA
By studying and analyzing the gaming consumer and marketplace, the Consumer Insights team helps drive the development of exceptional and imaginative ideas across PlayStation. Consumer Insights is looking for an individual to serve as our lead researcher in the area of software. The Software Research Senior Lead will manage, implement, analyze, report, and creatively communicate a diverse set of consumer research initiatives central to PlayStation's software business.
As a member of Consumer Insights, your role within PlayStation will be to help answer consequential and sophisticated business questions, collaborating with partners to study the subject in detail to lead the construction of fair and meticulous answers that improve the business’s understanding and ability to act. This takes passion for learning more about why people play and a drive to make the experience of playing more exciting!
This role is part of the larger Software & Services Research group, supporting first- and third-party software, digital commerce, games services, and entertainment services as well as emerging areas of the business, like eSports and Games as a Service.
We are looking for someone with a contemporary and advanced level of knowledge of both consumer research and the gaming industry. This person must have a high degree of comfort managing complex qualitative and quantitative research initiatives through all project phases. Ideally, they should possess a track record of helping organizations develop and act upon research and analysis to drive business strategy and success. Artful in the application of both data and storytelling, and understanding that each needs the other to be truly ground-breaking, this person should have a passion for research and be inspired to push the discipline to new and innovative places. Do you have what it takes?
Key Function and Responsibility of the Role:
- Represent the voice of the consumer in terms that are relevant to and drive more informed choices within the business
- Demonstrate SIE's investment in primary and secondary research to derive insights and provide strategic leadership to internal partner groups
- Design and execute globally-appropriate research projects, using standard methodologies
- Lead research partners and other resources to craft, field, report, and present outstanding research projects
- Help identify future growth opportunities, unmet consumer needs, and market whitespace
- Provide strategic counsel to key partners both within SIE and at the organization’s key external partners
- Build reports and presentations that demonstrate research observations and insights across projects to communicate larger themes across the organization
- Support an environment of feedback and learning across our team.
- Supervise project budgets, ensuring that funds are spent responsibly, tracked meticulously, are advised at the questions most valuable to the business, and do not exceeded budgeted totals
- Work with global partner groups related to Software & Services to identify key areas of needs, and establish customer knowledge as a critically beneficial ingredient of their respective successes
Required Technical Skills:
- Ability to lead multiple, simultaneous, complicated global research projects, in a timely, efficient, and effective manner
- High levels of proficiency in PowerPoint, Excel, and cross-tabulation portals and/or analytical software (e.g. SPSS, SAS, R, Tableau, etc.)
- Advanced knowledge of qualitative research and reporting methodologies (e.g. grounded theory, discourse analysis, content analysis, ethnography and participant observation, narrative interviewing and analysis, visual methods of reporting, production of video reporting, etc.)
- Expert-level knowledge of complex statistical and analytical methodologies (e.g. Choice Modeling, MaxDiff, TURF analysis, derived importance, etc.)
- Minimum two years of experience in a similar Consumer Insights function related to the gaming or entertainment industry, with at least five years of research or data analysis
- Advanced degree or higher in Statistics or similar quantitative field of study (e.g. Math, Economics, Engineering, Physics, etc.) strongly preferred but not required
Required Professional Skills:
- Proven track record representing qualitative & quantitative research methodologies, analysis, and insights clearly and concisely to senior-level decision-makers and executives, whether it be good or bad news
- Outstanding reporting and presentation skills with the ability to effectively communicate through beautiful written reports, compelling presentations, succinct summary documents, clear and concise emails, and any other way you could imagine!
- Success working for or maintaining relationships and administrative processes with multiple research suppliers and agency partners
- Very organized and detail-orientation, with a penchant for data accuracy
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, legally protected physical or mental disability, covered veteran status, status in the U.S. uniformed services, sexual orientation, marital status, genetic information or membership in any other legally protected category.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
We sincerely appreciate the time and effort you spent in contacting us and we thank you for your interest in PlayStation.
PRIVACY NOTICE TO SIE LLC’S JOB APPLICANTS
This Privacy Notice explains what personal information we at Sony Interactive Entertainment LLC collect from you, and why we collect it and use it. This Notice covers our practices regarding the personal information of all applicants to our job positions. Please review it carefully.
Categories of personal information we collect from you
We collect personal information about you throughout the recruiting process, in particular the following categories. Generally, we obtain this information through our Recruiting Team:
A. Identification and contact information
- Direct identifiers such as your first and last name.
- Indirect identifiers such as a government ID, your Social Security, work permit or passport #.
- Contact information such as your email address, mailing address, telephone number.
B. Other information about you or that can be associated with you such as:
- Sensitive/Protected Data. During the recruitment process, you may (voluntarily) provide us with your ethnicity, gender, military service information, or physical or mental health information, as well as your national origin and citizenship.
- Professional or job position-related information, including your past professional experience, references; background verification; talent management and assessment; information regarding any conflicts of interests; and the terms and conditions of your job offer.
- Non-public education information, including information about your education records, such as grades and transcripts.