PlayStation isn’t just the Best Place to Play — it’s also the Best Place to Work. We’ve thrilled gamers since 1994, when we launched the original PlayStation. Today, we’re recognized as a global leader in interactive and digital entertainment. The PlayStation brand falls under Sony Interactive Entertainment, a wholly owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation.
Role: Engineering Manager
You will initially be responsible for two of our London based engineering teams, in the global Content and Customer Services Engineering department, with circa 18 engineers. Our goal is to consistently deliver technology solutions that help make PlayStation the best place to work and the best place to publish games and digital content. We have twenty-seven engineering teams distributed across our London, Liverpool, San Mateo, and Los Angeles engineering centres, who are building and supporting the platforms that game developers are using to build and market their next generation of games.
You own everything that your teams deliver, you are a passionate Engineering Manager with significant experience of bringing about cultural pivots in established engineering teams. You have led agile engineering teams for more than a decade and for the last 5 years your full stack teams have been working in AWS on global customer facing 24/7 applications.
We're looking for proven technical ability, demonstrated interpersonal skills with the ability to inspire your team to achieve outstanding results in a fast-paced environment. You own the tech stack the applications are delivered on making sure they are up to date, appropriate and you effortlessly balance the need for continuous business delivery with engineering innovation.
You will act as a mentor and guide to the team and cultivate a culture of continuous learning and growth across your teams, whilst encouraging autonomy and ownership within teams. You empower and help guide the development of everyone, and work with your engineers to see opportunities to help them grow their careers and skillsets. You foster a positive and productive team culture to ensure your engineers remain focused on consistently delivering quality software.
What you’ll be doing:
- Leading, coaching, mentoring, and encouraging a dedicated team of Software engineers to architect, build, deploy and support best-in-class software services that are always available to provide the best experience for our customers
- Building and developing high energy, committed, motivated engineering teams focusing on innovation, engineering, and operational excellence to deliver exceptional business results.
- Working with and supporting our teams to develop DevOps capabilities and achieve a step change in performance through innovation
- Define and maintain the best team structures, aligned to a culture of “small autonomous agile teams”
- Promote and prioritise engineering standard methodology (the “how” of achieving the business goal) across all engineering teams, so we have a clear direction for improvement
- Champion Quality and Continuous Improvement
- Support the professional goals and development opportunities for the engineering team
- Provide coaching (internal and external development opportunities, mentoring, one-on-ones) keeping everyone on the career trajectory they want to be on
- Plan and execute (or secure) relevant training for the team
- Counsel as needed (including PIPs and other corrective/disciplinary actions)
What we are looking for:
- A great teammate with unrelenting self-motivation, initiative, and energy who recognises the importance of people in technology solutions
- Consistent track record of building and leading high performing engineering teams
- Minimum of 10+ years relevant agile experience with the last five years’ experience leading multiple engineering teams in AWS technologies embracing DevOps practices
- An analytic problem solver with a strong sense of autonomy, but with an open collaborative approach to getting the job done
- An experienced leader with a reputation for thought leadership, strategic thinking and with a strong technical background, you have opinions on what works and what doesn’t based on your experience
- Able to get your hands “dirty” from time to time with the team
- Core AWS Services (EC2/RDS//S3/SNS/SQS/Lambda/Kinesis)
- GIT, Confluence/Jira
- CI/CD Stack (Jenkins) / Kubernetes
- Extensive experience leading complex application design and development
- Exceptional attention to detail and follow through
- Exceptional verbal and written communications skills
- Approachable, relaxed, and friendly demeanour
- B.Sc. degree in computer science or equivalent experience
- Node.JS, REACT, Java, Python
- SQL / Database optimisation
- Discretionary bonus opportunity
- Private Medical Insurance
- Dental Scheme
- 25 days holiday per year
- Free PlayStation Games and discounts on Sony goods
- Subsidised Café
- Subsidised Soft Drinks
- Access to cycle garage and showers