PlayStation isn’t just the Best Place to Play — it’s also the Best Place to Work. We’ve thrilled gamers since 1994, when we launched the original PlayStation. Today, we’re recognised as a global leader in interactive and digital entertainment. The PlayStation brand falls under Sony Interactive Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation.
Role: Engineering and Delivery Lead - Sales, Finance, Operations (SFO)
Contract: 2 year Fixed-term contract
At SIEE we want to enable PlayStation to deliver on its promise to be the Best Place to Play by making it the Best Place to Work! In IT, we aim to achieve this by providing information and technology platforms that enable seamless working, communication and collaboration with colleagues and partners anywhere in the world.
The SIE IT - SFO group implements and enhances business-facing products and services that support PlayStation’s Sales, Finance and Operations (SFO) departments. PIN Point is a bespoke suite of integrated, web-based applications that underpins business processes in this space. We are looking for an experienced Engineering and Delivery Lead to manage the platform’s engineering team, to help define an engineering vision and build this future state.
You should have a strong technical ability, demonstrated interpersonal skills with the ability to inspire your team to achieve outstanding results in a fast-paced environment. You have previously built and led strong teams and you enjoy working with exceptional people.
You will act as a mentor and guide to the team and will foster a culture of sharing and learning across teams, whilst encouraging autonomy and ownership within teams. You will develop and foster a positive and productive team culture to ensure our engineers remain focused on consistently delivering quality software.
What you’ll be doing:
- Managing the group’s engineering teams, including quality assurance functions.
- Managing the operational-level relationship with our delivery partners – contractors and agencies that we engage to provide engineering delivery services.
- Evaluating, reporting and enforcing the quality of work delivered by the group’s engineering teams to assure that:
- solution design is fit for purpose.
- code is appropriate, rational, maintainable.
- automated tests correctly cover the acceptance criteria that they represent.
- documentation is complete to the appropriate, sustainable level.
- Ensuring that delivery practices are sustainable.
- Providing first-line technical analysis and ballpark estimates to help with business value estimation.
- Defining and manage the ‘technology backlog’, ensuring that all changes required to ensure secure and efficient operability of systems, including re/decommissioning of legacy systems, required infrastructure changes, security changes, and any other needs not defined by business process stakeholders are delivered.
- Managing and optimising the Delivery Team’s internal processes, including defining and enforcing ‘definition of ready’ and ‘definition of done’.
- Managing operational relationship, process, and evidence capture with offices of release management and compliance audit.
- Ensuring stories arriving into development meet the agreed ‘definition of ready’ and that completed stories ready for acceptance have met the ‘definition of done’
- Taking on planning and delivery actions to resolve systems and infrastructure ‘blockers’.
- Preparing and managing engineering budgets.
Engineering Processes and Procedures
- Work with global engineering peers to evolve a common toolset and development practices.
- Participate in the choice of technology for projects
What we’re looking for:
- Desire to participate in migrating existing regional system landscape to a global system landscape; that will involve removing some systems as well as implementing or integrating with new systems.
- Consistent track record of building and leading high performing engineering teams
- Experienced in managing offshore / near shore service providers
- Breadth and depth of experience building and running complex software systems and highly scalable/available software
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Confirmed ability to present complex technical information in a clear and concise manner to executives and non-technical leaders
Your technical experience should include the following or similar tools and technologies:
- Server-side Languages (e.g. Java, Python, Go)
- Application frameworks (e.g. Spring)
- Database Technologies (e.g. MySQL, Oracle, Postgres)
- Cloud technologies (e.g. AWS, Azure)
- Git, Jira and Confluence
What we are looking for:
- Discretionary bonus opportunity
- Private Medical Insurance
- Dental Scheme
- London Allowance (if applicable)
- 25 days holiday per year
- On Site Gym
- Subsidised Café
- Free soft drinks
- On site bar
- Access to cycle garage and showers
Equal Opportunity Statement:
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to gender (including gender identity, gender expression and gender reassignment), race (including colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin), religion or belief, marital or civil partnership status, disability, age, sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity, trade union membership or membership in any other legally protected category. We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.