Join us as our next Art Director, responsible for working with the Sr. Art Director, Creative Director, Gameplay Director, and narrative group to execute a project’s vision. As an Art Director you'll ensure excellence in all aspects of in-game visuals as applicable to the role and you'll oversee artists contributions for one or more projects in the studio. If joining Insomniac as a leader in our art department sounds like the opportunity you've been waiting for, please read on!
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following:
- Ability to clearly communicate artistic vision to team and project stakeholders and see the vision through to execution in the game
- Consults and collaborates with The Senior Art Director and other subject matter experts across all disciplines to come to informed and educated decisions about visual direction
- Ensures that art meets quality and aesthetic standards
- Advises leads on production pipeline for project(s)
- Advises leads on individual artist assignments for projects and tasks, including the review and critique of art assets for specific project
- Responsible for setting the visual target and style on one or more projects
- Creates style guides for various aspects of production
- Assists in pre-production planning and new IP development with creative directors
- Ensures that all complaints and concerns related to inappropriate or unprofessional conduct in the workplace, are address immediately to foster a safe work environment
- Other duties may be assigned
An Art Director should be able to execute multiple aspects of art production in the following areas:
- Graphics: Reviews in-game HUD, user interface (UI), icons, graphic design for logos, packaging, in-game graphics, motion graphics for logos, in-game graphics, and trailers
- Character: Creates or directs concepts for all character assets including creatures, weapons, vehicles, outsourced assets, and key art. Reviews in-game and cinematic characters.
- Environment: Creates or directs concept for all environment assets including props, vehicles, levels, outsourced assets, and key art. Reviews in-game and cinematic environments.
- Post: Reviews post elements in-game and cinematics: color correction, fog, etc, and post elements for internally developed game trailers
- Lighting: Reviews lighting in levels and in-game cinematics
- Marketing: Reviews all internally created marketing art, including magazine covers, pack fronts, logos, renders, screenshots, websites, etc.
- Reviews art from external agencies
Supervisory Responsibilities: An Art Director does not directly supervise a team of artists. Responsibilities however may include the following: interviewing, hiring, and mentoring employees; assist with planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance.
Education and/or Experience:
- Master's degree (M.A.) or equivalent; or ten plus years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Advanced Photoshop, Illustrator, After Effects user, Microsoft Office Suite
- Experience working with in-house engines and proprietary tools
- Team leadership, with experience navigating multiple simultaneous projects
- Creative collaboration and problem solving, with an understanding that many times it’s appropriate to defer to the expertise of specialists
- Effective time management, with the ability to delegate tasks and focus on larger issues while monitoring critical smaller details
- Detailed knowledge of game design and production methods
- Detailed knowledge of and practical ability with current game art creation methods, including surface transfer tools and lighting pipelines
- Ability to learn new software very quickly
- A strong critical eye for detail and the ability to communicate effectively with the team to resolve issues
- Communication with both large groups and individuals, with excellent written and oral communication skills
- Deadline-oriented approach, with the ability to get results even in difficult situations
Please submit your application for this opportunity below, we look forward to hearing from you.