At Rockstar Games, we create the games we would want to play ourselves.
A career at Rockstar is about being part of a team working on some of the most creatively rewarding, large-scale projects to be found in any entertainment medium. You would be welcomed to a friendly, inclusive environment where you can learn, and collaborate with some of the most talented people in the industry.
Rockstar Toronto is on the lookout for talented Animation Programmer to support the Animation R&D team. This position will be responsible for supporting and extending the animation scripting engine in the core of our advanced proprietary animation system. The successful applicant will have strong multi-language coding skills, a good working knowledge of virtual machines, and a passion for helping co-workers in creative disciplines make better games through better tools and technology.
WHAT WE DO
- We develop animation technology, from performance capture to a sophisticated runtime engine, for massive open world games.
- We are a global team of programmers and researchers who collaborate on pushing the boundaries of character animation on next generation hardware.
- We support and work closely with performance capture, technical art, animation, and gameplay teams across multiple projects at different Rockstar studios.
- Join our core animation technology team and work closely with gameplay, AI, tools, art, and animation teams across different Rockstar studios.
- Develop, maintain, extend, and support an extensive high-level runtime animation system, pipeline, and tools.
- Help us support, extend, and optimize our animation scripting engine and underlying pipeline, tools, and virtual machine.
- Gather needs and requirements from wide range of animation system users and translate these into new scripting system APIs and features.
- Produce precise and clear documentation for a wide audience of scripting system users.
- Implement well designed, robust, highly optimal new animation system features, integrating them into our existing animation, gameplay, and AI systems.
- Keep up to date with the latest academic and industry breakthroughs; Independently research and develop improvements to continuously push our technology forward.
- BSc in Computer Science or equivalent.
- Proficient in C++ and C#.
- Experience building, supporting, or maintaining virtual machines or scripting systems in C++.
- Effective communication skills, ability to clearly share complex technical information in written and verbal form with both other programmers, and those from less technical disciplines (e.g. artists and animators).
- Strong time management skills, ability to focus and prioritize in fast paced work environment, stay organized, and keep all stakeholders up to date with progress.
- Be a collaborative team player who can work with other personality types.
- Enthusiasm and eagerness to learn new software, skills, and technologies.
Please note that these are desirable skills and are not required to apply for the position.
- Strong 3D math skills.
- Games industry experience working on AAA character-based titles.
- Experience creating, extending, or working directly with an animation system within a game engine.
- Effective at designing clean, efficient, easy-to-use APIs.
HOW TO APPLY
Please apply with a CV and cover-letter demonstrating how you meet the skills above. If we would like to move forward with your application, a Rockstar NYC recruiter will reach out to you to explain next steps and guide you through the process.
Rockstar is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, and we are committed to hiring, promoting, and compensating employees based on their qualifications and demonstrated ability to perform job responsibilities.
If you’ve got the right skills for the job, we want to hear from you. We encourage applications from all suitable candidates regardless of age, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, belief, or race.