At Rockstar Games, we create the games we would want to play ourselves.
A career at Rockstar is about being part of a team working on some of the most creatively rewarding, large-scale projects to be found in any entertainment medium. You would be welcomed to a friendly, inclusive environment where you can learn, and collaborate with some of the most talented people in the industry.
Rockstar Games is looking for a talented and self-reliant back-end web developer to join our Digital Marketing team in SoHo, NYC.
If you’re always viewing the source on web sites and figuring out how the internet could be a better place, then we want you! We’re looking for passionate and dedicated web developers who can find the simplest way to achieve complex and rewarding results. Our ideal candidate should be proficient in writing cutting-edge code and always be looking for ways to improve.
As a back-end web developer, you should have expertise in the entire flow of a web request in a browser through to its response from PHP. You should be able to write object-oriented PHP code that interfaces with databases. You should be able to write bash scripts that run a task that help the overall performance of the web server. We are looking for both front-end and back-end developers. If you're proficient in either, or both, and you feel you're qualified, please apply.
WHAT WE DO
- The Rockstar Games Digital Marketing team is responsible for the end to end creation of the marketing side of all our web properties. This includes our main website, www.rockstargames.com, all of our individual marketing game sites (e.g. www.rockstargames.com/reddeadredemption2), as well as our customer support site, support.rockstargames.com.
- The development team is specifically responsible for the, you guessed it, development of those sites. The most important trait as a web developer in 2020 is to be able to adapt and show your ability to absorb new web tech and make decisions on how to code based on the balancing act of browser support, implementing new ES6 features, and polyfilling in between.
- We take initiative and work very closely with the Digital Design team, core Marketing team, and the Art team to discuss what works, what doesn’t, and how that all fits into a timeline for launch. We go back and forth with designers and our opinions change the shape of what’s possible.
- We own our own code and take pride in knowing that our final products are seen by millions of people.
- Create and deploy production-ready web code.
- Work with dev team to come up with better ways to test and deploy.
- Audit our servers and come up with enhancements.
- Work with back-end web developers, designers, and non-tech people to come up with timelines, designs, project strategy and plans for code launch.
- 5+ years professional experience developing single-page web applications in the back-end.
- 3+ years professional experience writing PHP in a framework such as CakePHP, or Laravel.
- 3+ years experience living in the LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP) stack.
- 3+ years experience using a source control system such as git.
- 1+ year experience using the PHP package manager Composer.
- Ability to write easily-maintainable code and explain it in detail, and explain the problem it solved.
- Ability to debug and fix a web site that’s throwing a 500 error code, even if you didn’t write the code yourself.
- Exceptional attention to detail.
Please note that these are desirable skills and are not required to apply for the position.
- Experience writing unit tests for your back-end code.
- Experience with HSTS best practices.
- Experience with memory-caching systems such as Memcached.
- Experience with leveraging CDNs such as Akamai to reduce server load.
- Ability to explain and implement SEO best practices at the server level.
HOW TO APPLY
Please apply with a CV and cover-letter demonstrating how you meet the skills above. If we would like to move forward with your application, a Rockstar recruiter will reach out to you to explain next steps and guide you through the process.
Rockstar is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, and we are committed to hiring, promoting, and compensating employees based on their qualifications and demonstrated ability to perform job responsibilities.
If you’ve got the right skills for the job, we want to hear from you. We encourage applications from all suitable candidates regardless of age, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, belief, or race.