Riot Games was established in 2006 by entrepreneurial gamers who believe that player-focused game development can result in great games. In 2009, Riot released its debut title League of Legends to critical and player acclaim. As the most played video game in the world, over 100 million play every month. Players form the foundation of our community and it’s for them that we continue to evolve and improve the League of Legends experience.
We’re looking for humble but ambitious, razor-sharp professionals who can teach us a thing or two. We promise to return the favor. Like us, you take play seriously; you’re passionate about games. We embrace those who see things differently, aren’t afraid to experiment, and who have a healthy disregard for constraints.
That's where you come in.
The Creative Lead will oversee and drive the creative aspects of product development for DTP (Direct to Players) and licensing businesses for the China market by closely working across Riot teams (e.g., Central creative, Central product, Regional product etc), managing outsourced creative agencies/artists and partnering with licensees and retailers.
As a Rioter in China, you'll join a team of internationally and culturally diverse professionals that share our prioritization of player experience, rejection of convention and maniacal passion for gaming.
To reinforce Riot’s collaborative culture in our China offices, we’ve decided to do away with the constraints of traditional hierarchical title structures that are more common in the region. Titles don’t really matter at any of Riot’s offices, but we chose to take this extra step in our China offices to foster a space where teamwork thrives. We believe that removing this constraint will promote individual autonomy, ownership, collaboration, and a focus on results. We promise you won’t need a title at Riot to make an impact.
Creative Trends/Designs and Art Management
- You will drive high level product/material trend analysis and provide creative input into the business team’s annual product plan for DTP business and categories plan for licensing business
- Conduct constant trend research across DTP and licensing businesses, prepare seasonal reports and share output with Central creative team and local CP team
- Develop regional best practices within creative/art craft to implement and share among all stakeholders.
- Responsible for ensuring art assets in CN are clean, organized, and defined correctly for easy access
DTP and Licensing Product Development Support
- You will work closely with Central and regional teams to provide creative input in the overall product development process for DTP business in China (i.e., products designed in CN)
- Work closely with the Riot Central creative team to provide art/creative input for products created for both the China and global markets (i.e., products designed in LA).
- Work closely with Central creative and regional licensing teams to lead art feedback and design review of licensee partners’ submissions, with the ability to turn around clear feedback quickly and effectively between multiple parties.
- Collaborate with Central creative and licensing teams to develop standardized and customized pitch materials for external partners (e.g., key retail partners and potential licensees)
Outsourced Artist/Agency Management
- We have multiple domestic and international partners and want to foster relationships between Riot and these external teams. You'll communicate Riot's creative vision to the CN-based partners and serve as the primary voice for creative input and feedback.
- Providing art direction to ensure Riot’s quality standards are met and working with teams to ensure assets are delivered on time and within budget
- You’ll handle the workflow of our CN-based art/creative vendors including organizing and leading daily rituals, gathering all submissions by vendors, and consolidating feedback from regional DTP team before providing feedback on submissions.
- You’ll manage contracts for all art/creative vendors (e.g., reviewing and approving time cards/invoices) and source and test new vendors as needed.
- 8 years experience covering direct product design, outsource artist management, and licensee product approvals
- Experience with Adobe Creative Suite and other art software applications
- Ability to articulate art and production process, deliver feedback in a positive manner, and discuss design reasoning.
- Experience collaborating and maintaining relationships with multiple art/creative vendors and teams
- Experience in overseeing design direction or creative strategy within budget constraints
- Willingness to roll-up sleeves and directly contribute to all aspects of the art/creative process from concept to final approval as necessary.
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally as needed
- Outstanding communication skills
- Experience in licensing industry
- Experience in the games industry
- Knowledge of League of Legends IP
- Fluent in both English and Mandarin Chinese
For this role, you'll find success through craft expertise, a collaborative spirit, and decision-making that prioritizes the delight of players. We will be looking at your past studies, experience, and your personal relationship with games. If you embody player empathy and care about the experiences of players, this could be the role for you!
Don’t forget to include a resume and cover letter. We receive a lot of applications, but we’ll notice a fun, well-written intro that shows us you take play seriously.