Rebellion Publishing is the publishing arm of leading European games development company Rebellion. Founded in 2000 by Rebellion owners Chris and Jason Kingsley with acquisition of legendary UK comic imprint 2000 AD, Rebellion Publishing has expanded over the last 20 years with the creation of cult imprint Abaddon Books in 2006, acquisition of SFF powerhouse Solaris Books in 2010, the acquisition of over 100 years of British comic-book history with the Treasury of British Comics, and most recently, the acquisition of Whitaker’s Almanack. Rebellion Publishing has been consistently at the forefront of SFF, graphic novel and comic book publishing, with a wide range of award-winning and fan favourite publications. We promote a policy of championing a diverse range of products from award-winning, bestselling and exciting new talent.
Are you a Production Controller looking to take that next step in your career or a Production Manager looking for a new challenge?
Rebellion Publishing has the role for you! Based in our riverside offices in Oxford, this role will be managing the production of fiction, non-fiction, graphic novels and comics, including 2000 AD and Judge Dredd.
The ideal candidate will have proven experience of book or magazine production, including managing 4-colour illustrating printing. This is a busy role, covering many different types of publication so being able to think quickly and prioritise is essential.
You will oversee the production and printing of complex titles and print projects, ensuring that clear and consistent quality expectations are met, and titles are completed on budget. The role will also be involved with the publication of special and limited edition products across a range of subjects, allowing for creativity and out-of-the-box thinking.
Alongside production duties, you will also be responsible for analysing stock holdings on an ongoing basis and advising on reprints. You will ideally be familiar with formats used in the both in the UK and US and be able to advise the editorial teams on all aspects of a book’s production, from cover effects to limited-edition slipcase designs.
You should have experience liaising with UK and international printers and freight companies, as our books are published in both North America and the UK. You must be able to negotiate good terms and be agile in handling long and short print deadlines.
The ideal candidate will have:
- Proven experience in book or graphic novel/magazine production
- Strong attention to detail and organisational skills
- Experience liaising with overseas and domestic suppliers
- Good communication and negotiation skills
- Good understanding of trade and co-printing
- Strong time management and scheduling ability
- Familiarity with Adobe InDesign and title management systems such as Consonance or Biblio
- Problem-solving mindset with the ability to prioritise, work to multiple deadlines and the ability to work well in a busy environment
- Holiday: 26 holiday days annually, increasing with service to 31 days, plus national public holidays
- Private Medical Insurance: Our PMI scheme offers comprehensive cover to access private medical treatment, taking the stress and strain out of waiting for treatments via the NHS
- Pension Contribution: Tax efficient salary sacrifice contributory pension scheme where Rebellion matches 4% of salary, plus 10% of any contribution you make
- Healthcare Cash Plan: Cash-back on treatment costs, from flu jabs to chiropractors
- Dental & Vision: Cash-back on routine or emergency costs, free eye tests
- Income Protection: Financial help if unable to work due to illness or injury
- Critical Illness: Financial help if diagnosed with critical illness
- Life Assurance: Financial security for your loved ones at a difficult time
- EAP: Wellbeing hub, including confidential telephone support and counselling
- Active Rewards: Earn discounts and other perks for physical activity, from trainers to cinema tickets
- Gym Membership: Discounts to over 3,000 participating UK gyms, pools & fitness events
- Loans: Interest free, tax-free loans
- Relocation: Assistance with relocation planning and costs
- Cycling Cycle Scheme: Save around 30% of the cost of a new bike and equipment though salary sacrifice tax & NI savings, spread repayments over 12 months
- Discounts: 50% off most 2000 AD merchandise, plus Active Rewards and more through health schemes, from high street retail to holidays
- Referral Bonus: Up to £2k bonus for internal staff referrals that lead to hires
- Flexible Hours: Flexible start and finish times
- Great Friendly Culture: Friendly, creative and relaxed working atmosphere, with sensibly managed projects and recognition of the importance of work-life balance (anti-crunch)
- Social & Charity Events: Annual Summer BBQ & Christmas Party, social groups such as photography and board games, charity events including football, go-karting and supporting Special Effect
- Digital Freebies: GDC Vault access, all Rebellion Steam titles, digital copies of 2000 AD and Rebellion Publishing comics, graphic novels and ebooks, physical game and film libraries