Rebellion Oxford is now looking for experienced Engine Programmers to join our core engine technology team, including specialist areas such as tools, network, graphics and AI. This is an exciting opportunity to work on new technology, supporting multiple AAA titles currently in development for all current and next-generation platforms, including online multiplayer, PC and consoles.
Want to know more? You can watch our video here;
Inside the Rebellion coding team.
You must be able to quickly familiarise yourself with our existing codebase in order to push the boundaries and drive our industry-leading internal engine and tools suite even further. This is a permanent full-time role based in-house at our Oxford headquarters. You must be able to legally work in the UK.
The ideal applicant will have at least 3 years’ experience working in the console games industry using C/C++, preferably in technical programming within a cross-platform engine. A strong academic background is also preferred with a 1st class or 2:1 degree in Computer Science, Maths, Physics or other science-related subject, but not essential if you have appropriate experience.
- Write and develop robust maintainable engine code
- Implement features across all current and next-gen platforms, including prototypes and new technologies- Identify and solve technical problems as they arise, including cross-platform issues, debugging, profiling and optimising for reduced memory usage and increased real-time performance
- Maintain and add to existing codebase, including low/mid-level systems to support pipelines and higher-level programmers- Respond to feature requests and bug reports from game development staff
- Research new tools, techniques and processes and how they can benefit Rebellion- Collaborate productively, communicating ideas and issues clearly across disciplines
- Be responsive to deadlines and work well under pressure, meeting multiple production objectives and deadlines
- Excellent C/C++ skills with the ability to write clear maintainable code
- Strong debugging, profiling and optimising
- Ability to work with a large existing codebase, learn new systems/concepts and implement them quickly and efficiently- Good communication and teamworking with game developers from all discipline
- Excellent initiative, self-motivation, organisational and problem solving skills, with the ability to accept and follow direction- A genuine interest in playing games
- Knowledge and interest in any specific areas of engine code (eg. graphics, tools, networking, AI, physics, maths, multi-threading, user-interfaces, third-party APIs) would be an advantage, as would any coding experience in other languages (eg. Perl, PHP, mySQL, C#)
- Holidays: 25 days paid annual leave plus all bank holidays (33 days total)
- Relocation: reasonable pre-agreed costs eg belongings, transport, non-refundable agency fees, etc
- Pension: contributory pension scheme where company matches 4%, salary sacrifice so saves on tax & NI
- Cycle Scheme: spread bike payments over 12 months, salary sacrifice so saves on tax & NI
- Eye Test Vouchers: free eye tests and additional discounts on glasses/contact lenses
- Introduction bonus: £2k for internal staff referrals that lead to hires
- Loans: Up to £1k interest free personal loans
- Free Stuff: fresh fruit, Rebellion Steam titles, GDC Vault access, digital 2000AD/Solaris/Abaddon/Ravenstone copies, game and film library
- Discounts: 50% off most 2000AD merchandise, discounted membership at The Athlete Centre gym 200 metres from Oxford studio
- Culture: friendly, creative and relaxed working atmosphere, with sensibly managed projects and recognition of the importance of work-life balance
- Social: annual company events (Summer BBQ & Christmas Party), various ad-hoc events and out-of-hours social groups such as photography, board games, football, baking, etc
- Oxford Location: local pub, M&S and Waitrose, 5 minute walk to train station and 15 minute walk to city centre
- Hours: flexible start and finish times (core hours 10am-4pm with 7.5 working hours overall plus 1 hour for lunch