Lab42 is a best in class cross-platform game developer based in the UK. Now in our fifth-year, our headcount has grown to nearly 40 experienced people supported by a veteran management team with backgrounds from Activision, Codemasters and EA.
With an exceptional engineering team who bring experience of working directly on dozens of titles across a range of platforms, we are ideally set up to take on the responsibility of full SKU development, adaptations & ports from platform to platform and focused co-development where our adaptable production techniques and processes enable us to dovetail with our partners.
We hold the official license for World Snooker and internally developed the photo-realistic, sports/simulation Snooker19, the first in an ongoing game franchise, for all major Consoles and PC. That’s in addition to providing a range of development services and special projects to a growing client list which features Paradox, Sega, Klei Entertainment, Aspyr, Magmic, Ripstone and WayForward.
Lab42 Games are looking to recruit a Lead Programmer to lead projects and manage programmers. From assigning tasks to writing code, and from mentoring junior coders to checking on the wellbeing of your team to meeting with clients, a Lead Programmer will have the opportunity to look after code and people as they work with a range of highly regarded IPs and external partners on many different platforms.
What is the job?
- Write high quality code that can be delivered on time
- Work on a wide variety of projects and tasks in various engines and languages
- Mentor and develop more junior members of the team
- Lead a programming team by planning and directing your own work and the work of your team
- Liaise with other disciplines and teams within the studio and external partners to facilitate development
- Ensure that build pipelines are in place to deliver regular, testable builds
- Report to the Technical Director and assist in drawing up policy and best practices
- Adhere to and enforce programming best practices and standards
Who are we looking for?
Experience of leading teams is preferred, as you will need to be versed in shepherding projects to completion by working with a producer while you keep track of your team's progress. You will be relied upon to be pro-active in looking for technical and managerial solutions to potential problems with code and people before they cause lasting issues. You will need to be self-motivated and capable of working without direct supervision, but you will be expected to feed back periodically to the Technical and Development Directors.
In addition to managing your team and project, you will be expected to be hands-on with code, implementing features and being involved with bug fixing on a day to day basis:
- Excellent knowledge of C++ and C# is a must
- Experience of working with other languages like Java and Objective-C are a plus, along with any experience of scripting languages like Lua or Python
- An understanding of working with the command line is essential
- Having shipped titles in Unreal Engine and Unity would be beneficial
- A working understanding of different consoles and/or game streaming platforms, in addition to PC development, would be ideal
- Experience with build systems (e.g. Jenkins) is a plus
Why should you work at Lab42?
Lab42 was formed 5 years ago with just one developer, and we have grown organically to 40 staff over the last five years. Now part of the Sumo Group we’re based in the heart of Royal Leamington Spa; a thriving town with a bustling game-development scene
We are a small, dedicated bunch with experience, drive, passion and creativity. Lab42 has a flexible working environment that make this a relaxed and friendly place to work. By prioritising the happiness and wellbeing of our staff we have been able to hire many industry veterans, and we are proud to have one of the lowest rates of staff attrition in game development.
To apply for this role please include your current CV and any relevant portfolio content where relevant. You must be eligible to work in the UK to apply for this role.