id Software, part of the ZeniMax Media Inc. family of companies, is seeking a talented Systems Designer to join our team in making AAA games. The Gameplay Systems Designer will be responsible for working with Lead Designers and Game Directors to plan, prototype and build systems that directly apply to a 1st person action game. Design responsibilities include but are not limited to enemy AI, player navigation, weapons and tools. These responsibilities require a high degree of knowledge and experience between code and content, as well as showing demonstrable on-screen progress from concept to ship. Both theory and hands on work will be required.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Experience working with a variety of established game toolsets
- Experience and skill with one or more text-based scripting languages
- Understanding of gameplay system constraints as well as an understanding of game engine architecture and custom toolsets.
- Experience working in a collaborative environment with cross disciplinary groups
- A minimum of 5 years of experience working in a design capacity on PC or console games
- Experience shipping a AAA game or patching/maintaining a live game
- Ability to conceptualize, present, and execute ideas within a schedule, while actively participating in technical and design problem solving in engine.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Expert user with Excel
- Strong presentation skills and the ability to present that information to audiences
- Candidate must be willing to take a short design test
- Create detailed, yet easy to follow design documentation
- Ability to get hands-on and implement gameplay elements in our proprietary toolset
- Coordinate closely with AI programmers and Level Designers to communicate the goals and specific needs of various combat and gameplay systems and provide regular updates to all related systems.
- Prototype new ideas and systems with existing tools and game script
- Drive new features and content as a strike-team feature owner
- Collaborate with artists, engineers and other designers
- Provide feedback and guidance to other members of design
- Work closely with design leadership to ensure consistency, scope, and quality of systems
- Work with analytics team to review the success of current systems and initiatives as well as propose new solutions
- Maintain, test and iterate system-based features from concept phase to final tuning for an award winning game.