The Infrastructure department powers Discord’s building blocks, including our textual chat platform, audio and video channels, internal tooling, protection against spam and abuse and much more. While being a relatively small group of engineers, the Infrastructure department works on systems of considerable scale. Discord has more than 100M monthly active users and facilitates 4 billion minutes of audio conversations on a daily basis.
As an infrastructure engineer, your work will have an immense impact on our company’s success and ability to grow, but will also directly influence how communities around the world communicate!
What you'll be doing
- Build the foundation of Discord’s technology.
- Collaborate with product teams to add new features.
- Ensure our systems are fast and reliable.
- Exercise first principles thinking to always deliver what matters most to our users.
- Mentor and help grow junior engineers.
- Work with a talented team of engineers who have built one of the largest communication platforms in the world.
What you should have
- 4+ years of experience writing and designing backend systems or building the tools that move these systems forward.
- Experience solving complex distributed system problems.
- Knowledge of monitoring and alerting best practices.
- Familiarity with open source software, and a willingness to dig into the source code of a library to find the answer you’re looking for.
- Comfortable working in fast paced environments.
- Experience with Rust or Elixir.
- Experience working with NoSQL databases (Cassandra, Scylla etc.) storing 100s of billions of data points.
- Experience working with systems deployed in a cloud environment (GCP, AWS, etc.)
- Knowledge of DevOps tools like Salt, Terraform or Kubernetes.
- You have built or contributed to open source projects.
Benefits and Perks
- Medical insurance including Health, Dental, Vision
- 13 paid holidays
- Unlimited sick days
- Parental Leave and fertility benefits
- Supported-employee clubs and Employee Resource Groups
- Commuter Contributions of $270 a month (pretax)
- Daily lunches and unlimited snacks
- Monthly gym and fitness stipend
Gamers, nerds, moms, dads, engineers, designers, marketers, support. We created Discord to help people come together around games. It's been amazing to watch it grow into what it is today - a place where millions of diverse communities exist and people connect with old friends and new. Diversity and inclusiveness are a critical part of how we get to what's next. We believe that with diversity comes a better product, better decisions, and a better work environment. As we continue to grow, our values keep us dedicated to building a company that is representative of the world we live and play in.
Discord is an equal opportunity employer committed to promoting an inclusive work environment free of discrimination and harassment. We value diversity, inclusion, and aim to provide a sense of belonging for everyone.