Discord is looking for a highly technical, creative, hands-on and mission-driven Engineering Manager to pair with Product and Marketing to lead our Growth teams. This will be direct business ownership of the creation and organization of teams to support our growth plans, including recruiting for the ICs and managers of those teams and ensuring their success.
Everyone who's life could be improved by Discord should know about it. Right now more than 250 million users use it, and this team will use creative marketing experiments, accessibility improvements, support for more international regions, and the creation of brand new use cases to get the word out to hundreds of millions more.
If that sounds exciting to you, read on!
What you'll do
- Build exceptional teams of highly-engaged engineers by hiring, coaching and instilling a sense of ownership and impact, directly and through your managers.
- Work with Product, Design and Marketing to define your team’s vision and roadmap by thoroughly understanding your customers’ needs.
- Leverage your technical expertise to constantly raise the bar and ensure your team delivers extraordinary results at the high technical level we set.
- Adjusting team composition, and creating new teams, to adjust to changing needs or tuning team dynamics
- Making sound first-principle decisions around resourcing, and making the rationale clear to partners and team members
- Partnering with director on strategic planning and to continuously improve the Engineering organization and uphold our workplace philosophy.
Who you are
- You have 5+ years of experience as a Software Engineer.
- You have 6+ years of experience as an Engineering Manager and successfully managed at least 10 Software Engineers.
- You have strong communication skills and the ability to work well cross-functionally.
- You thrive in ambiguous environments and get excited about figuring out solutions to complex problems, and then executing on them.
- You are a first principles thinker that is able to work with others to come up with pragmatic solutions.
- You have have a strong product sense and take pride in understanding your customers.
- You love experimentation and get excited when numbers move by 1%.
- Code does not scare you, you are still an engineer even if you don't do it all the time.
- You keep up with the industry trends and and can assess new technologies that can help us better solve problems.
Discord is an equal opportunity employer committed to promoting an inclusive work environment free of discrimination and harassment. We value diversity, inclusion, and aim to provide a sense of belonging for everyone.