Discord's Data Products team is responsible for building the tools and applications that operate on top of our data infrastructure: This includes systems like Experimentation, Monitoring & Alerting, Data Aggregation, Dashboarding and BI. Our mission is to empower any employee at Discord leverage data in their day to day by providing a delightful and reliable experience.
Discord is looking for a highly technical, hands-on, and mission-driven Engineering Manager to take our nascent Data Products team from 0 to 1. As a manager responsible for the Data Products team, you will help us define the vision and future of Data Products at Discord and help build a full stack team to execute against that vision.
If that sounds exciting to you, read on!
What you'll be doing
- Build and lead an exceptional team of highly-engaged engineers by hiring, coaching, and instilling a sense of ownership and impact.
- Drive the technical vision and roadmap for the Data Products team by collaborating with your team and stakeholders across the company.
- Manage processes and leverage your technical expertise to continually raise the bar and ensure your team delivers extraordinary results.
- Work with other Engineering Managers to continuously improve the Engineering organization and uphold our workplace philosophy.
What you should have
- You have 5+ years of experience as a Software Engineer.
- You have 3+ years of experience as an Engineering Manager and successfully managed a team of 5+ Software Engineers
- You have strong communication skills and the ability to work well cross-functionally.
- You thrive in ambiguous environments and get excited about figuring out solutions to complex problems, and then executing on them
- You are a first principles thinker that can work with others to come up with pragmatic solutions.
- You have a proven record of building and deploying distributed data systems at scale or developing delightful data applications on top of large-scale data infrastructure.
- You are passionate about coaching and leading other engineers, but secretly love to roll up your sleeves and getting elbow deep in code when the opportunities arise.
- You keep up with the industry trends and continuously identify new technologies to leverage to solve technical problems.
- Experience working with modern data technologies (Spark, Hadoop, Hive, Flink, Kafka, Beam).
- Experience with modern cloud platforms like Google Cloud Platform or Amazon Web Services.
- Experience hiring for fast-growing startups.
- Strong open-source leadership or contributions.
Discord is an equal opportunity employer committed to promoting an inclusive work environment free of discrimination and harassment. We value diversity, inclusion, and aim to provide a sense of belonging for everyone.