Discord's Data Platform team builds the infrastructure, tools and applications that measure, analyze, understand and leverage data to achieve our goals.
Our Infrastructure provides Discord with batch and realtime data for running experiments, monitoring metrics and making essential decisions. Our Machine Learning platform provides the tools and systems necessary to use data in a smart and autonomous way to make our product and infrastructure better. Our ML Engineering team uses our ML Platform to have outsize impact on our product and infrastructure through applied Machine Learning. Lastly, our Data Products empower the company to understand and analyze data to level up our decisions and create leverage for Discord.
Discord is looking for a highly technical, hands-on, and mission-driven Director of Engineering to lead our Data Platform organization to help us scale to the next level. As head of the Data Platform organization reporting into our Head of Data, you will have significant leadership and influence on the evolution of Discord's overall Engineering organization.
If that sounds exciting to you, read on!
What you'll do
- Build and lead multiple teams of highly-engaged managers and engineers by hiring, coaching, and instilling a sense of ownership and impact.
- Own the vision and roadmap for the Data Platform organization by working with your leads, teams and executive partners across the company
- Manage processes and use your technical expertise to continually improve the team and ensure your team achieves extraordinary results.
- Work with other Directors to continuously improve the Engineering organization and uphold our workplace philosophy.
Who you are
- You have 5+ years of experience as a Software Engineer.
- You have 5+ years of experience as an Engineering Manager and successfully managed groups of 3+ Engineering Managers and 15+ Software Engineers.
- You have 2+ years of experience managing other Managers.
- You have experience hiring and growing senior leaders and managers
- You enjoy coming up with pragmatic solutions to concrete problems using first principles thinking.
- You've worked with complex distributed systems deployed at scale.
- You are passionate about coaching and leading other engineers, but secretly love getting elbow deep in code when the opportunities arise.
- You keep up with the industry trends and identify new tools to use to solve technical problems.
- Experience defining and building new teams and departments from scratch
- Experience working with modern data technologies (Spark, Hadoop, Hive, Flink, Kafka, or Beam)
- Experience with Machine Learning technologies like TensorFlow, PyTorch, Keras or XGBoost
- Experience with modern cloud platforms like Google Cloud Platform or Amazon Web Services
- Experience hiring for fast-growing startups
Discord is an equal opportunity employer committed to promoting an inclusive work environment free of discrimination and harassment. We value diversity, inclusion, and aim to provide a sense of belonging for everyone.