The Player Experience Team Tester at Cloud Imperium Games assists in the collection, quantification, and analysis of the player experience for Star Citizen. Specifically, this role will be responsible for the day to day operation and administration of the Issue Council, verifying and reproducing player-reported bugs, entering results in JIRA, and assisting QA and other stakeholders in tracking and distributing information related to the player experience.
This position will have secondary roles as our primary stakeholder in our publish process, manage the volunteer Evocati Test Flight, and helping when needed on a variety of publishing related tests and tasks. This position actively assists the Player Experience Team Manager in sorting our daily patch notes, creating playtest instructions, providing survey opportunities for external users, and aggregating then delivering the feedback to a wide internal company audience.
The ideal candidate for this role will have an encyclopedic knowledge of Star Citizen, including expertise in one or more game mechanics, and an operational understanding of statistical data collection. Ideally, the candidate also has a functioning knowledge of Kibana and SQL to best collect analytics.
Tasks are subject to evolve as this team grows and as business demands change.
- Assist the Player Experience Team Manager by managing Issue Council content
- Recognizing and promoting player contributions in our development efforts
- Analyze player feedback and the user experience to report to company stakeholders
- Attend any number of regular development and planning meetings as well as daily publish team syncs
- Maintain familiarization with game content and the live gameplay experience
- Collect and validate patch notes of daily updates (both internal and external builds)
- Collaborate with development stakeholders on data and survey collection efforts
- Create playtest instructions and surveys for external testers
- Analyze and distribute data to wide company audience via reports
- Identify areas of opportunity for improving the product and user experience
- and any other such other duties and responsibilities assigned by Cloud Imperium Games consistent with employee’s skills and experience
- Reports to the Player Experience Team Manager
- Ability to coordinate across studios and territories to work with stakeholders in every office
- Encyclopedic knowledge of Star Citizen gameplay past and present and working knowledge of Heap/Tycoon
- Able to learn basic SQL and Kibana skills
- Prior analytical or research experience including report writing and data analysis
- Excellent organization and communication skills
- Working knowledge of Windows-based software computer applications and equipment
- Knowledge of online game and e-commerce behavior
- Effective listening skills
- Willingness to co-operate with players and developers in a patient and constructive way
- Multi-tasking capabilities
- Willingness to be flexible on schedule during peak play periods and during game updates
- Must be able to sit for long periods of time
- Must be willing to work through online video and chat with colleagues across the globe
- International travel may be required as part of the role
- Is a self starter and can work regularly without oversight but also with a team when required
- Can work independently as well as part of an international team
- Exemplary attendance and punctuality
- Maintains effectiveness when experiencing major changes in personal work tasks or work environment; adjusts effectively to work within new work structures, processes, requirements, or cultures
- Interacts with others in a way that gives them confidence in one’s intentions and those of the organization
- Clearly conveys and receives information and ideas, through a variety of media, to individuals or groups in a manner that engages the audience, helping them understand and retain the message, and permitting response and feedback from the listener
- Identifies and understands issues, problems, and opportunities; compares data from different sources to draw conclusions; uses effective approaches for choosing a course of action or developing appropriate solutions; and takes action that is consistent with available facts, constraints, and probable consequences
- Deals effectively with others in antagonistic situations, using appropriate interpersonal styles and methods to reduce tension or conflict
- Establishes proper courses of action to ensure that work product is completed efficiently and on time/within proper time limits
- Maintains stable performance under pressure or opposition (such as time pressure or job ambiguity); handling stress in a manner that is acceptable to others and to the organization
- Possesses, acquires, and maintains the technical/professional expertise required to do the job effectively and to create effective player solutions
- Technical/professional expertise is demonstrated through problem solving, applying technical knowledge, and product and service management for the functional area in which employee operates
- Has a high degree of patience navigating a variety of troubleshooting situations
- Actively appreciates and includes the diverse capabilities, insights, and ideas of others and working effectively and respectfully with individuals of diverse backgrounds, styles, abilities, and motivations
- Sets high standards of performance for self; assuming responsibility and accountability for successfully completing assignments or tasks; self-imposing standards of excellence rather than having standards imposed
This position is offered at our Austin Studio by Cloud Imperium Games Texas.
If you feel you have something to offer this role, even if you don’t think you qualify for all the above, you should still apply – we are an inclusive employer and if you have potential, talent, and a great work ethic, we want to hear from you.