We are looking for an experienced Level Designer (f/m/d) on an unannounced AAA VR project at Ubisoft Düsseldorf. You will be responsible for creating game levels and implementing gameplay situations based on the creative vision. You will drive the game’s vision by building levels and work with others to achieve a consistent flow throughout all levels built for the game.
Furthermore, you are expected to help develop your level design team by coaching less experienced members and share best practices. You will use your experience and technical skills to create 3d spaces, terrain and encounters to craft a living and believable game world.
This is a full-time position based in Düsseldorf, Germany which requires working onsite.
- 5+ years of experience in game development and track record of amazing games
- Ability to create fun and exciting levels using a complex array of mechanics
- Excellent sense of 3D game space and environmental story telling
- Expert knowledge of level design rules and practices
- Familiar with large scale level design production workflows
- Familiar with indoor and outdoor level design
- Fluent in English, both verbally and written
- Creativity, ability to challenge the player
- A passion for creating worlds and a love for games
- Experience with various level editors to create levels in AAA environment
- Portfolio with examples of your previous work/projects
- Experience and passion for VR a strong bonus
- Create high quality AAA game levels in VR and implement game-play situations based on the creative vision and narrative design.
- Assist in the definition and implementation of multiple biomes / level styles
- Manage the levels through the full cycle of production from conception to finalization
- Maintain and balance the readability, difficulty and accessibility of the levels
- Understand and apply the narrative and emotional ambition for the environments you are responsible for
- Create a compelling game world, place assets and terrain sculpting and painting based on the creative/level-design directors vision
- Manage your levels through the full cycle of production from conception to finalization
- Prototype the environment, establish the layouts, and suggest ways of using the interactive and non-interactive elements to create the desired emotions
- Create level concepts, block them out in the engine’s level editor and ensure a playable prototype throughout production
- Continuously improve and balance the difficulty and flow on the maps/levels
- Work in collaboration with the level artists to ensure that the playability of the level and the graphic elements support each other
- As the project progresses, integrate the elements produced in the map (new game play, AI, sound, etc.)
- Control the accessibility, understanding, and level of difficulty of the level
- Collaborate with the art and design teams to ensure the consistency of your work
- Mentor junior level designers and share your knowledge with your peers