The Associate Technical Art Director will implement the graphic tools and methods to carry out the artistic vision of the game within the defined technical constraints. The main focuses are conversion of art direction into technical requirements, the implementation of art technologies, tools, pipelines and budgets for the project and development of team members.
Manage and help build a team that works together smoothly and collaborates well with external partners
- Guide, provide constant support, and mentor technical artists. Play a key role in their career development.
- Ensure team productivity: assign, organize, and prioritize the work within his team
- Help construct a credible road map to reach target dates
- Work closely with HR recruitment and producers to identify, hire, and grow promising candidates in your area of expertise
Gatekeeper of a solid bridge between art and tech teams
- Understand art direction requirements and convert them to new features and improvements
- Have regular sync-ups with the tech direction and art direction to align on options, choices and priorities
- Be proactive by foreseeing problems and technical needs
- Work closely with Rendering, Engine, Tools, and Art teams to ensure requirements are properly prioritized
- Foster inter-team coordination. Help coordinate communication between groups and achieve consensus for the requirements necessary to ship a high quality title.
- Establish an open communication with your peers on the project
Owner of the art technologies, tools, pipelines and budgets
- Test and confirm that the intended techniques are possible with the tools chosen. Validate the quality of the product with the Art Director and Lead Programmer.
- Produce a technical reference and/ or technical constraints document, keep it current, and communicate it for the team's guidance
- Assure the homogeneity of the technical quality throughout the game
- Propose and create the right tools to accelerate certain procedural tasks
- Be the gatekeeper of the budget, stability and performance of the art
Look out for innovation
- Network with other experts to benchmark solutions used on the project
- Provide insights and value add to the project and group
- Excellent English communication skills, both verbal and written
- Detailed knowledge of the technical constraints of engines and the different game platforms
- Knowledge of 2D and 3D graphic software
- Knowledge of an asset management system
- Knowledge of a programming language (C++…) (an asset)
- Knowledge of Max Script (an asset)
- In-depth knowledge of the jobs required to produce a AAA video game