The Animation Programmer will be responsible for the technical side of character animations within the project and will serve as a liaison between Character Animation Artists and Gameplay Programmers.
Specific responsibilities will include:
- Expand and maintain the animation layer between NPC behaviors and Unity's Mecanim system.
- Maintain the visual character prefabs.
- Create and update procedural animations and IK systems on NPCs.
- Implement real-time facial phoneme animation system for spoken audio lines.
- Support character ragdoll code and the animation side for grabbing, pushing, pulling.
- Design, implement, and iterate on new and existing systems and tools.
- Assist with performance optimization of animation systems, including levels of detail.
- Act as a technical contact between animation artists and feature team programmers.
- Collaborate with technical artists as needed.
- 3+ years of professional programming experience with an emphasis on character animation (at least 1 published title preferred)
- Master's or Bachelor's degree in Mathematics, Computer Science, or Software Engineering
- Experience in Unity and Unity's Mecanim system
- Strong 3D math and computer graphics skills
- Experience in IK/FK systems
- Debugging and problem-solving skills
- Good understanding of modern animation techniques