Senior Manager/Director, Marketing, Call of Duty League
The Call of Duty League (CDL) is seeking a star marketer to lead the league’s marketing efforts. As the head of marketing, you will lead global integrated marketing campaigns to acquire and foster loyal, engaged fans, by driving marketing strategy, brand creative touchpoints, and communication among cross-functional teams. This role will work closely with other key leaders across CDL and Activision Blizzard, notably the Call of Duty game marketing team and CDL product team, to build industry-leading go-to-market strategies.
The ideal candidate has extensive experience developing and executing large-scale, multi-faceted, global marketing campaigns. This individual will be a proven strategic thinker who is comfortable leading cross-organizational project teams, both internally and externally. He or she will also be an extraordinary operational and strategic marketer who can align marketing with product goals and be obsessed with the consumer.
The successful candidate must love Call of Duty, and even better if he/she has direct experience working with this iconic franchise. This position will have one direct report (CDL Brand Manager) with an opportunity for more and will be partnered with and supported by the cross-functional marketing leadership team including PR/Comms, CRM, Digital/Web & Mobile, and Content/Social Media. This role is based full-time in Santa Monica, CA.
Covid-19 Hiring Update: We’ve transitioned to a work-from-home model and we’re continuing to interview and hire during this time. This role is slated as a remote position, with some travel to headquarters, should circumstances allow this in the future. We understand each person’s circumstances may be unique and will work with you to explore possible interim options.
- Develop and implement the league’s global marketing strategies and plans; focused on driving viewership, acquiring new fans, and enhancing engagement with the current fanbase
- Build and execute fully integrated marketing plans across owned, earned, and paid channels; work with the integrated team to ensure correct distribution platforms are leveraged and optimized for performance
- Liaison with cross-functional teams across Activision, including the Call of Duty marketing team, to develop and execute cross-promotional programs
- Spearhead the co-marketing efforts with all major partners and guide the expressions of the brand prepared by the partner creative & strategy team, media rights partners, CPG & Fanatics, and other third parties to create full brand alignment.
- Manage holistic relationships with game development, league operations, digital product strategy, creative (internally and externally with agencies) and other key functional partners
- Develop and execute promotional programs to increase fan engagement and viewership, while monitoring budget and maintaining alignment with brand positioning.
- Measure the effectiveness of brand and consumer marketing initiatives and develop insights to optimize campaigns, make recommendations, and track against key KPIs
- Partner with the 12 Call of Duty League’s professional teams on their local marketing and fan engagement efforts, ensuring collaboration among global and local efforts
- Manage members of the brand team to shepherd proper execution as well as high performance and personal growth
- Provide regular reports relating to the progress of the marketing group towards meeting the commercial and financial goals established for the company
- Bachelor’s degree in Marketing, Business, Communications, related field, or equivalent experience. Master’s Degree in Business Administration is a plus
- 7+ years of experience in consumer marketing/brand management for sports, video gaming, entertainment, consumer products, advertising, or related industries
- 3+ years of direct management experience, with passion for managing and mentoring high performers
- Outstanding communications, presentation, and influencing skills
- Embodies a strong entrepreneurial spirit and an ability to address challenges and opportunities from fresh perspectives, but with the ability to function well in a matrixed organization
- Demonstrates the outstanding problem-solving capabilities necessary to resolve issues that face a growing enterprise
- Must be a self-starter and have the ability to manage one’s own time and prioritize tasks
Required Application Materials
- Cover letter – Why do you want to lead marketing for the Call of Duty League
Activision Blizzard Esports Leagues