Job Title:Senior/Lead Lighting Artist, Unannounced Project
We’re a new Blizzard development team and we’re looking for a versatile senior or lead lighting artist to help us build Blizzard’s next epic project. In this role, you will partner with art and technical leadership and bring your lighting expertise to illuminate our game’s world. Ultimately, you’re combining a passion for lighting and technical problem-solving with great gameplay all while actively collaborating and thriving on a dynamic, fast-paced team.
Covid-19 Hiring Update: We’ve transitioned to a work-from-home model and we’re continuing to interview and hire during this time. This role is expected to begin as a remote position. We understand each person’s circumstances may be unique and will work with you to explore possible interim options.
Day to Day Tasks:
- Partner with art leadership to combine traditional aesthetics with next gen lighting techniques to light a world with an inspiring and cohesive vision across a diverse range of environments.
- Take your expert level knowledge of various lighting tools and techniques to craft lighting in modern game engines and partner with art, tech art, and engineering to integrate solutions into a production pipeline.
- Use your understanding of HDR lighting, color theory, shape, surface types and the techniques and technologies relating to physically based rendering to help visual development.
- Work closely with the art and design departments to conceptualize and implement real-time lighting solutions that satisfy both aesthetic and gameplay objectives.
- Anticipate and work well within different production and technical constraints and understand the budgeting restrictions associated with them.
- Create, maintain, and communicate documentation for lighting guidelines and implementation techniques.
- 5+ years professional experience with games/lighting/tech art in a production setting.
- Thorough understanding of real-time lighting techniques (including vertex lighting, dynamic lights, sub surface scattering, HDR, and pre-baked light map solutions).
- Excellent aptitude for troubleshooting technical issues associated with lighting, performance, tools, and pipelines.
- Able to communicate exceptionally well with programmers, designers, producers and artists.
- Self-starter and driver, great communicator, and an amazing team-player.
- Having worked through an entire production cycle and having previously shipped AAA PC or console titles in a similar role.
- For a lead lighting artist, you’ve helped grow or develop exceptionally talented art teams, big or small, and you know what it takes to hire talented developers with a great “game development” mindset.
- You love to solve problems and you love to collaborate. Creating epic entertainment experiences is a team effort and you thrive when exploring ideas and working with others.
- You have a passion for Blizzard games and understand the unique approach to creating Blizzard art for our game universes.
- Resume (PDF Preferred)
- A portfolio or demo reel that demonstrates a keen eye for detail and the ability to use light, shadow, and color to create a variety of tones and moods
- An art test may be required
- Job Status: Full-time
Blizzard Entertainment has been rated by Fortune as one of the "Best Places to Work" for several years running (and our ranking continues to rise!). We are a community of 4000 global employees who are passionate about not only gaming, but entertainment and the technology that drives our users experience. Our goal is to delight our customers by never settling for anything but the highest quality and providing worlds filled with creativity and adventure around every corner. You are forward-thinking, engaging, eager to learn and ready to make an impact. We've been waiting for you!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.