Job Title:Environment Artist
As an environment artist, you will help bring Blizzard’s signature art style to mobile audiences, and your charge is to help define and maintain the artistic vision as set forth by the Art Director. This will include giving direction on outsourced art assets.
The ideal candidate for this role has experience in environment art creation, including foliage, skydomes, and environment lighting. You should have the ability to provide clear paint-over and verbal feedback to other artists, both within Blizzard and with external partners.
- Create foliage, skies, and lighting benchmark assets.
- Own the quality control over incoming art assets, providing detailed feedback and approvals to the vendor, to deliver quality assets to the development team.
- Provide feedback (visually and verbally) on art assets.
- Work directly with the design and art teams to build atmospheric environments, with a focus on composition, detail, and mood, while ensuring that the gameplay space is readable.
- Create benchmark art assets and best practices guides.
- Partner with art leadership to help define and realize the art vision.
- Serve as an active participant in team art discussions, critiques, and reviews.
- Partner with the production team to ensure schedules and plans meet business and project needs.
- Maintain clear and concise communication, relying on effective people skills.
- Explore a wide variety of ideas that push Blizzard’s art style.
- 5+ years of experience as an environment artist and/or outsource supervisor.
- Experience working on foliage, skydomes, and lighting.
- Understanding of form, shape, structure, composition, and silhouette, as it relates to world building and modeling.
- Knowledgeable about modern texturing workflows, like PBR, is a plus.
- Organized, great follow-through, self-driven, and team player.
- Has worked closely with game design teams, to ensure that the game’s art enhances the player experience.
- Understands real-time game development needs.
- Experience working with outsourcing, as well as mentoring other artists, is a plus.
- A deep understanding of Blizzard’s art style, and a passion for Blizzard franchises.
- Portfolio website or Demo reel