Arkane Studios is seeking a highly skilled Combat Designer who will work with the development team to create a deep combat experience. The Combat Designer will be responsible for balancing, bug fixing, and making improvements to all facets of combat in the game.
- Minimum 3+ years game design experience on a shipped or live product.
- Must possess excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Must be able to think logically, with a strong focus on attention to detail.
- Experience designing for both a casual and competitive audience.
- Must have some familiarity with workflow and best practices for modern engines (CryEngine, Unreal Engine 4, Unity, Etc.).
- Must be proficient with Microsoft Excel and Microsoft Word.
- Must maintain clear and concise documentation for all systems.
- Must be able to communicate effectively and work well with other disciplines.
- Design and oversee the creation and systems for combat mechanics as well as NPC abilities and behaviors.
- Balance combat difficulty progression across the length of the game.
- Work with the rest of the combat design and AI teams to create compelling player/enemy engagements and behaviors.
- Must write and maintain clear and concise documentation for all feature specs, mechanics, and behaviors they are responsible for.
- Maintain and iterate on various systems.
- Strong working imagination able to invent compelling enemies and envision dramatic encounters which mesh well with narrative themes of the game.
- Work to create an engaging combat experience in service of the project’s vision and goals.
- Work with the design team, Lead Combat Designer, and Creative Director to implement any changes necessary based on feedback, and be responsive and amenable to such changes as content relates to the bigger picture.