Amazon Game Studios is seeking a Services Engineer to join our team in sunny Irvine, CA. This position will design and build the services layer for our upcoming massively multiplayer Lord of the Rings game.
We are building a game that is "super social": the presence of other players is always seen & felt, and it is always optimal to play with others. Your work will make this critical goal possible.
In this role you will design and implement the architecture of our service layer, making smart choices about what we build and what we can re-use from AWS or other Amazon games. You will build services such as identity, matchmaking, persistence, trade and more. Your work will set the standard for a reliable, secure, and liveops-friendly online game that other server and devops engineers can build upon. You will also face the challenge of live game feature development where delighting customers is a constant occupation.
What you'll do:
· Design the services layer for The Lord of the Rings
· Enable "super social" gameplay by inventing social backend services or adopting existing ones
· Work with other leads to steer game design and service design towards a happy union
· Leverage AWS-based solutions to solve the needs of the game development, publishing, customer service, and liveops teams
· Build tools to monitor and manage live services
· Influence a growing team of server and devops engineers working in your framework
· Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or a related field, or equivalent experience
· 5+ years experience in building micro-services for games
· Experience with highly available Sql and NoSql databases
· 1+ shipped AAA networked game titles or equivalent work e.g. live product development
· A passion for video games
· Experience with AWS or similar technologies
· Familiarity with Amazon GameLift and Twitch APIs, or equivalent.
· A good understanding of Windows or Linux network stacks
· Strong communication skills across different teams and technical backgrounds
· Meets/exceeds Amazon’s leadership principles requirements for this role.
· Meets/exceeds Amazon’s functional/technical depth and complexity for this role.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.