Amazon is all-in on games, and our mission is to be the most customer-obsessed company in the games industry. At Amazon Game Studios, we’re creating compelling games like New World, a sandbox MMO set on a supernatural continent in the 17th century and our forthcoming The Lord of the Rings MMO. Amazon Games is also delivering great game benefits to Prime members each month via Prime Gaming, and providing game developers of all sizes with the tools they need to succeed with Amazon Game Tech.
We believe games are about community. Today, the communities that started in arcades, a quarter at a time, have evolved into Twitch streams with millions of viewers, and friendships first formed in-game that extend across continents. In this role, you’ll dive deep into the gaming community and help create new experiences and opportunities for connection.
Amazon Game Studios is looking for an exceptionally skilled Senior Character Artist. The ideal candidate will have a proven track record of delivering world class characters in video games. In this role, you will collaborate with the Art Director, and a team of artists to help create inspired and expertly executed character models.
You will be able to work independently and also be comfortable with giving direction and artistic critique. You’ll be working within a multidisciplinary team of designers, artists, and developers and will have the ability to both share your hard earned knowledge and continue to develop your skill set by learning from your teammates.
· Maintain a high level of quality while working with design and deadline constraints
· Create a range of high quality characters based on concept art.
· Sculpt high-resolution character models in Zbrush and/or other 3D packages.
· Create clean, low-resolution game topology, uv’s, and textures.
· Work with the art director, character team and others to set the visual style and quality bar.
· Must work well in a team environment with the ability to receive and give feedback with gracious consideration. Must communicate well with teammates outside of the character team.
· Engage in technical and aesthetic problem solving efforts.
· Complete work under reasonable deadlines.
· 3+ years of experience making character models for games
· 1+ AAA title shipped
· 3+ years experience with 3D Max or Maya, Photoshop, Zbrush, and other 2D/3D applications
· 3+ years experience as a Lead or Manager
· Online portfolio displaying a variety of 3D AAA quality character artwork and a strong understanding of human, animal anatomy. Portfolio should include hard-surface assets on or with a character. (.i.e. costume accessories, weapons, vehicles, or props)
· Solid knowledge of next generation asset creation pipelines, tools, software and customization systems.
· Experience working and placing assets into a game engine. (i.e. unreal, unity, proprietary, etc)
· Proven experience in a professional game production pipeline
· Proven ability to create high-poly and low-poly models and textures
· Thorough understanding of 3D character art pipelines
· Must have the ability to take constructive criticism and maintain a professional attitude
· Able to accurately estimate the time to complete individual assets.
· Independently self-motivated, team player with excellent communication skills.
· Traditional art skills (drawing, painting, sculpting)
· Meets/exceeds Amazon’s leadership principles requirements for this role.
· Meets/exceeds Amazon’s functional/technical depth and complexity for this role.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.