Amazon Game Studios is seeking a Network Engineer to join our team in sunny Irvine, CA. This position will design and build the network layer of our upcoming massively multiplayer Lord of the Rings game.
We are building a game that is "super social": the presence of other players is always seen & felt, and it is always optimal to play with others. Your work will make this critical goal possible.
In this role you will decide how game simulation will be divided between client and server in an established engine, how networked game features will map to hosted services, and how to manage persisted data and messages across those processes. You will also face the challenge of live game feature development where delighting customers is a constant occupation.
Who you'll be:
· An early member of our server team, reporting into the studio's central server tech team
· An owner of the game's networking, client/server and persistent models
What you'll do:
· Design and build a client/server model for The Lord of the Rings
· Implement efficient state replication
· Design and build the infrastructure to manage data and messages across game services
· Implement a data persistence strategy across many services
· Influence a growing team of server and devops engineers working in your framework
· Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or a related field, or equivalent experience
· 5+ years experience or background in C++ network programming (TCP/IP, UDP, async systems)
· 1 or more shipped AAA networked game titles or equivalent work e.g. live product development
· A passion for video games
· Experience with replicating client/server state
· Experience in real time networking
· A good understanding of Windows or Linux network stacks
· Strong communication skills across different teams and technical backgrounds
· Meets/exceeds Amazon’s leadership principles requirements for this role.
· Meets/exceeds Amazon’s functional/technical depth and complexity for this role.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.