Amazon Game Studios is seeking a Lighting and Materials Artist to join our team in sunny Irvine, CA. This position will work with the Art Director to implement a surprising and beautiful new take on The Lord of the Rings.
We’re seeking an art style for our game that is “different at a glance” from the games and movies that have come before us. Our desired look poses unique rendering challenges and we're seeking an artist who can bring this vision to life.
In this role you will work alongside the Art Director to implement the lighting, material and post-processing techniques necessary to achieve their desired look. You will collaborate with Character artists on dynamic heroes and creatures, World artists on jaw-dropping environments, and VFX artists on light and magic.
Who you'll be:
· A technical artist reporting to the Art Director
· A hero to the artists on the team as they bring their ideas to life
What you'll do:
· Use an established engine to achieve a new look for The Lord of the Rings
· Find or create shaders, textures and brushes needed by artists
· Use light to accentuate the beauty of the game
· Apply techniques such as megascans and photogrammetry to accelerate the team
· Help artists understand and live within intuitive budgets
· 2+ years of experience in the games industry as an artist, or equivalent work in a related field
· Bachelor’s Degree in Art or a related field, or equivalent work experience
· Online Portfolio demonstrating your skills
· A passion for video games
· Expert knowledge in major DCC software tools (Photoshop/Max/Maya/Houdini or equivalent)
· Expert knowledge of at least one Game Engine (Unity, CryEngine, Unreal, or equivalent)
· Experience with procedural art systems in games
· Meets/exceeds Amazon’s leadership principles requirements for this role.
· Meets/exceeds Amazon’s functional/technical depth and complexity for this role.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.