Amazon Games, Orange County is seeking a Lead Animator to work closely with our Art Director and Designers to lead our animation team in bringing innovative gameplay to life.
At Amazon, our goal is to create great games. We believe in ground-breaking games that can redefine the boundaries of player experience and change the way the world sees digital entertainment. Games have the power to connect people on a massive scale, and creating these experiences will produce some of the future’s most influential voices in media and art. We seek the best game developers in the world to join our team and become the architects of this vision. Join us, and you’ll have the power of Amazon technology including Twitch and AWS to shape the future of games.
The Lead Animator should display a strong knowledge of animation principles and be well versed in character combat and animation pipelines for AAA third person games. You have a proven track record of guiding a team of talented artists to improve their craft. You will have a desire to implement new production methods to deliver high quality visual results that delight our customers. You will have highly developed communication skills and are able to work independently; both giving and receiving direction. Most importantly, you will inspire both the professional and creative growth of the team through individual contribution and leadership.
We are looking for someone who will:
· Work closely with the art director and design leads to drive and evangelize the artistic and gameplay vision for the game
· Take ownership of all animation and set a high quality bar for the animation department
· Collaborate effectively across all disciplines of the team to deliver visually impressive and fun gameplay
· Lead, mentor, coach, and inspire a team of animators
· 6+ years professional 3D games animation experience
· 1+ shipped AAA title in a Lead Animator/Manager role
· A strong demo reel demonstrating expert knowledge of fundamental animation principles
· Expert knowledge working with mocap and key framed animation techniques for games; setting the bar for the animation team
· Exceptional understanding of next generation asset creation pipelines, tools, software and customization systems
· Exceptional grasp of form, shape, structure, and silhouette as they relate to animation and third person gameplay. Strong understanding of a variety of combat techniques
· Advanced proficiency with Maya and any relevant software or equivalent creating animation for games
· Strong ability to establish and build upon animation style guide
· A Strong understanding of ROI ensuring results meet a high quality bar and efficient time for delivery
· A strong understanding of rigging and modeling for games
· Excellent ability to communicate feedback; subtleties and nuances through verbal, written and visual animation notes
· Vision and persistence to improve the pipeline by researching and detailing proposed features for new animation tools
· A strong ability and willingness to take and give direction, collaborate, discover and make breakthroughs as part of a team
· An undeniable passion for games and animation
· Meets/exceeds Amazon’s leadership principles requirements for this role.
· Meets/exceeds Amazon’s functional/technical depth and complexity for this role.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.